Saturday, June 11, 2011

Portumna: 1 Convenience Store, 2 Banks, 5 Bookmakers, 49 churches and 50 Pubs

Behind the Shannon Hotel is the Portumna Castle.  So lovely and so perfect for my first day there.  It is really a manor house but I didn't care.  It was old (1500's), there was a Friary from the 1400's right next door to the castle with a beautiful cemetery attached.  The Shannon River was also right there to welcome me.  I said Hi and she said Hi right back.




Through an entryway at one of the Portumna Castle's outbuildings

This is the back of the castle.  It was supposed to be open but wasn't.  That was OK the rocks enthralled me.  Beware, most of my pics are of stones and rocks!


An entryway  to some of the outbuildings around the castle
Chapel of the Friary








The Friary with the cemetery.  I was sad there was a fence.  I considered climbing over and taking my chances since I had an "in" with Ambrose, the Garda.



Ann "Booby" Bui and Shannon "Moonbaby" Nakano
After soaking up as much of the town and castle as I could I went back to the hotel to eat and meet many of the karate people in the pub.  What a great bunch of people.  Met an amazing woman named Ann Bui who came with the Peoria, Illinois dojo.  She has been here a few times before and was kind enough to introduce me to many of the Irish she knew - and she knew most!

  
A funny story:  I was gushing to a few of the fine Irish about how wonderful I thought it was that there were so many bookmakers in Ireland.  I mean even in this little town of Portumna there were so many craftsman keeping the tradition of handmade books alive and obviously thriving as there were so many for even this little town!  I was so excited I couldn't wait to visit them tomorrow!  I went on and on.  However, being the excellent reader of human faces that I am, I noticed that most were near tears with laughter.  When they could talk coherently they let me know that visiting was probably not the best idea as these were gambling halls and not innocent "bookmakers".  Bummer.  Although, I did kinda wonder why none of them displayed books in their windows...I was going to suggest that they should <grin>.

I returned to my room fairly early as I was utterly knackered.  I remember standing there gazing at the room and the 3 beds that came with my room (not sure why I rated a 3-bed-room), my stuff strewn everywhere, and no one to take care of but me.  Those are rare moments and then to realize tomorrow would bring the same - there was joy and hope.  The last few years have been a struggle and I was ragged.  But I was hopeful, with the ties that bind loosened, I might be able to hear the voice, a voice inside that I recognized.  I just needed a little hope. 
And then I started reading the book given to me by my friend Kristin in honor of this trip, Shannon  by Frank Delaney.  Fitting, yes?
I read this which rang true for me:  (I have changed the pronouns to female - the main character is male)

"But if all went well - if the green stillness of Ireland brought recovery, if the River healed her, if in her roots she found the way back to herself - she could resume her true life.  This belief, based solely on hope, gave her energy...Lose your soul and you'll die...Find your soul and you'll live."
One of many pathetic, out of focus
self-portraits!

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! Especially the "bookmakers" part. You're such a good girl, I guess you've never heard of "bookies?" ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a bit of a good girl, I admit it but I have heard of bookies - but have never in all my born days heard them called bookmakers! Pretty funny misunderstanding all in all.

    ReplyDelete